Dr. Dharmendra Saraswat
Associate Professor/ Extension Engineer- GeoSpatial
Biological and Agricultural Engineering
Office: Cooperative Extension Service, 2301 South University Avenue, Little Rock, Arkansas 72204
Phone: 501-671-2191 (office) , 501-681-5987(mobile)
Ph.D., Engineering, The Ohio State University, 2007
M.S., Agricultural Engineering, Indian Agricultural Research Institute, 1990
B.S., Agricultural Engineering, Allahabad University, 1988
Teaching and Research
Research and Extension
Applied research and out-reach education on GeoSpatial technologies (Geographic Positioning Systems, Geographic Information Systems, remote sensing and sensor technology) in agricultural settings, and simulation modeling for watershed management and production agriculture.
2012- present: Associate Professor/Extension Engineer- Geospatial Technologies
2007-2012: Assistant Professor/Extension Engineer- Geospatial Technologies
2006-2007: OPS (Technical), Citrus Research and Education Center, University of Florida, FL.
2001-2006: Graduate Research Associate, Department of Food, Agricultural and Biological Engineering, The Ohio State University, OH.
1993-2001: Scientist, Central Institute of Agricultural Engineering, Indian Council of Agricultural Research, New Delhi, India.
1991-1993: Assistant Professor, Chandra Shekhar Azad University of Agriculture & Technology, Kanpur, India.
Honors and Awards
- Superior Paper Award. 2012. American Society of Agricultural and Biological Engineers.
- Blue Ribbon Extension Communication Award . 2012. Southern Region- American Society of Horticultural Science (SR-ASHS).
- John W. White Outstanding State Extension Faculty Award . 2011. Biological and Agricultural Engineering Department nominee.
- Early Career Award . 2011 University of Arkansas Cooperative Extension Service.
- Innovation Award . 2011 University of Arkansas Cooperative Extension Service- Desktop based tool "ARkansas WAtershed Prioritization (ARWAP)" tool.
- CG Ray Travel Grant . 2004. Present paper in ASAE/CSAE Annual Meeting at Ottawa, Ontario, Canada.
- Elpha Epsilon Inductee. 2002.
- IARI Senior Fellowship . 1990-91. Pursue Ph.D. in Agricultural Engineering.
- IARI Junior Fellowship . 1988-90. Pursue M.S. in Agricultural Engineering.
- Third rank . 1988. B.S. Agricultural Engineering, Allahabad University.
- American Society for Agricultural and Biological Engineering, 2001- present.
- American Society for Photogrammetry and Remote Sensing, 2005- present.
Pai, N. and D. Saraswat. 2011. SWAT2009_LUC: A Tool to Activate Land Use Change Module in SWAT 2009. Trans ASABE. 54(5): 1649-1658. (2011 ASABE Superior Paper award winner paper).
Pai, N., D. Saraswat, and M. Daniel. 2011. Identifying Priority Subwatersheds Using Distributed Modeling Approach. 54(6): 2181-2196.
Saraswat, D., and N. Pai. 2011. Chapter 8: Spatially distributed hydrologic modeling in Illinois River Drainage Area in Arkansas Using SWAT. 196-210. In Soil Hydrology, Land Use, and Agriculture, 196-210. M. Shukla, ed., Wallingford, Oxon OX10 8DE, UK: CAB International.
Saraswat, D., N. Pai, and M. Daniels. 2010. Identifying Priority Subwatersheds Using Distributed Modeling Approach. ASABE Paper No. 711P0710cd. In Proc. TMDL 2010: Watershed Management to Improve Water Quality, Baltimore, Mary.: ASABE.
Engel, B., I. Chaubey, M. Thomas, D. Saraswat, P. Murphy, and B. Bhaduri. 2010. Biofuels and Water Quality: Challenges and Opportunities for Simulation Modeling. Future Science Group: Biofuels. 1(3): 463-477.
Saraswat, D. and N. Pai. 2010. Algorithm for Mapping SWAT Model Output to Field Boundaries. In Proc. India 2010 Conference, CD-ROM, Chennai, India: AWRC.
Allred, B., B. Clevenger, and D. Saraswat. 2009. Application of GPS and Near-Surface Geophysical Methods to Evaluate Agricultural Test Plot Differences. FastTimes. 14(3): 15-24.
Saraswat, D. and N. Pai. 2009. Developing Inventory of Riparian Buffer Cover in L’Anguille River Watershed using Geospatial Technologies. ASABE Paper No. 09-7060. St Joseph, Mich: ASABE
Saraswat, D., P. Tacker, and N. Pai. 2008. Identifying hotspots in L’Anguille watershed using modeling approach. In 9th International Conference on Precision Agriculture, CD-ROM. Denver, Co.: ASA.
Allred, B. J., R. Ehsani, and D. Saraswat. 2006. Comparison of electromagnetic induction, capacitively-coupled resistivity, and galvanic contact resistivity methods for soil electrical conductivity measurement. Applied Engineering in Agriculture. 22(2): 215-230.
Allred, B. J., R. Ehsani, and D. Saraswat. 2005. The Impact of temperature and shallow hydrologic conditions on the magnitude and spatial pattern consistency of electromagnetic induction measured soil electricalconductivity. Trans. of ASAE, 48(6): 2123-2135.
Allred, B., R. Ehsani, and D. Saraswat. 2004. The impact of shallow hydrologic conditions on electromagnetic induction measurement of electrical conductivity in a fine-grained soil. ASAE Paper No. 04-2297. St Joseph, Mich: ASAE.
Saraswat, D., R. Ehsani, N. Watermier, and M. Sullivan. 2003. Potential application of yield data for creating topographic maps. ASAE Paper No. 03-1084. St Joseph, Mich: ASAE.