Dr. Dharmendra Saraswat
Associate Professor/ Extension Engineer- GeoSpatial
Biological and Agricultural Engineering
Office: Cooperative Extension Service, 2301 South University Avenue, Little Rock, Arkansas 72204
Phone: 501-671-2191 (office) , 501-681-5987(mobile)
2007 - Ph.D., Engineering, The Ohio State University
Dissertation: Geospatial Technology Applications to Strawberry, Grape, and Citrus Production Systems.
1990 - M.S., Agricultural Engineering, Indian Agricultural Research Institute (IARI)
Dissertation: Performance Evaluation of Tractor-Trailer System Under Varying Operating Conditions.
1988 - B.S., Agricultural Engineering, Allahabad University
Project Report: Design, Development and Testing of a Solar Convective Air Grain Dryer.
First Class with Distinction (78.5%)
Teaching and Research
Research and Extension
Conduct applied information technologies (GPS, GIS, remote sensing, field sensor, mobile and cloud computing) research and disseminate research-based information to a range of stakeholders.
07/2012- to date Associate Professor/Extension Engineer-Geospatial, Department of Biological and Agricultural Engineering, University of Arkansas, AR. (33% Research and 67% Extension)
04/2007- 06/2012 Assistant Professor/Extension Engineer-Geospatial, Department of Biological and Agricultural Engineering, University of Arkansas, AR. (67% Extension and 33% Research)
04/2006- 01/2007 OPS (Technical), Citrus Research and Education Center (CREC), University of Florida, FL.
06/1993- 08/2001 Scientist, Central Institute of Agricultural Engineering (CIAE-Bhopal), Indian Council of Agricultural Research (ICAR), New Delhi, India.
12/1991- 05/1993 Assistant Professor, Chandra Shekhar Azad University of Agriculture & Technology, Kanpur, India.
Honors and Awards
2014 The John W. White Outstanding Extension State Faculty Award, University of Arkansas System Division of Agriculture.
2013 Excellence in Remote Sensing and Precision Agriculture Award (State), National Association of County Agricultural Agents (NACAA).
ASABE Educational Aids Blue Ribbon Award, American Society of Agricultural and Biological Engineers (ASABE).
Extension Faculty Award of Excellence, Gamma Sigma Delta, Arkansas Chapter.
2012 ASABE Superior Paper Award, American Society of Agricultural and Biological Engineers (ASABE).
Blue Ribbon Extension Communication Award, Southern Region- American Society of Horticultural Science (SR-ASHS).
2011 Early Career Award, University of Arkansas Cooperative Extension Service.
Innovation Award, University of Arkansas Cooperative Extension Service.
2004 CG Ray Travel Grant, The Ohio State University.
2002 Inducted into the Alpha Epsilon Honor Society.
1990-91 IARI Senior Fellowship, Indian Agricultural Research Institute (IARI).
1988-90 IARI Junior Fellowship, Indian Agricultural Research Institute (IARI).
1988 Third rank in a class of 42 students.
Member, American Society of Agricultural and Biological Engineers (ASABE).
Life Member, Indian Society of Agricultural Engineers (ISAE).
Member, American Society for Photogrammetry and Remote Sensing.
Member, American Geophysical Union.
Member, Gamma Sigma Delta (The Honor Society of Agriculture).
Member, Arkansas Association of Cooperative Extension Specialist (AACES).
1. Saraswat, D., J.R. Frankenberger, N. Pai, S. Ale, P. Daggupati, K.R. Douglas-Mankin, and M.A. Youseff. 2014. Hydrology and Water Quality Models: Documentation and Reporting Procedures for Calibration, Validation, and Use. Trans. ASABE (accepted for publication).
2. Pai, N and D. Saraswat. 2013. Impact of Land Use and Land Cover Categorical Uncertainty on SWAT Hydrologic Modeling. Trans. ASABE. 56(4): 1387-1397.
3. Pai, N. and D. Saraswat. 2012. A Geospatial Tool for Delineating Streambanks. Environmental Modeling and Software, http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.envsoft.2012.08.012
4. Pai, N., D. Saraswat, and R.Srinivasan 2011. Field_SWAT: A Tool for Mapping SWAT Output to Field Boundaries. Computers and Geosciences, doi:10.1016/j.cageo.2011.07.006
5. Pai, N., D. Saraswat, and M. Daniel. 2011. Identifying Priority Subwatersheds Using Distributed Modeling Approach. Trans. ASABE 54(6): 2181-2196.
6. Pai, N. and D. Saraswat. 2011. SWAT2009_LUC: A Tool to Activate Land Use Change Module in SWAT 2009. Trans. ASABE. 54(5): 1649-1658. (2012 ASABE Superior Paper award winner paper).
7. Engel, B., I. Chaubey, M. Thomas, D. Saraswat, P. Murphy, and B. Bhaduri. 2010. Biofuels and Water Quality: Challenges and Opportunities for Simulation Modeling. Future Science Group: Biofuels. 1(3): 463-477.
8. Allred, B., B. Clevenger, and D. Saraswat. 2009. Application of GPS and Near-Surface Geophysical Methods to Evaluate Agricultural Test Plot Differences. FastTimes. 14(3): 15-24.
9. Allred, B. J., R. Ehsani, and D. Saraswat. 2006. Comparison of electromagnetic induction, capacitively-coupled resistivity, and galvanic contact resistivity methods for soil electrical conductivity measurement. Applied Engineering in Agriculture. 22(2): 215-230.
10. Allred, B. J., R. Ehsani, and D. Saraswat. 2005. The Impact of temperature and shallow hydrologic conditions on the magnitude and spatial pattern consistency of electromagnetic induction measured soil electrical conductivity. Trans. ASAE, 48(6): 2123-2135.
In Peer Review
11. 3Rahman, M., 4B. Blackwell, N., Banerjee, and D. Saraswat. 2014. Smartphone based Hierarchical Crowdsourcing for Weed Identification. Computers and Electronics in Agriculture.
12. Daggupati, P., N. Pai, S. Ale, K.R. Douglas-Mankin, R. W. Zeckoski, J. Jeong, P.B. Parajuli, D. Saraswat, M.A. Youseff. 2014. Calibration and Validation Strategies for Hydrologic and Water Quality Models. Trans. ASABE.
13. Moriasi, D., R. W. Zeckoski, J.G. Arnold, C.B. Baffaut, R.W. Malone, P. Daggupati, J.A. Guzman, Y. Yuan, D. Saraswat, B.W. Wilson, and A. Shirmohammadi. 2014. Hydrologic and Water Quality Models: Key Calibration and Validation Topics. Trans. ASABE.